Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Boys Don't Like to Hear Me Sing

A couple years back I watched my neighbors 4 kids while they went to Hawaii for a week. This family is my idea of the perfect family and I compare my dream life to them often. The kids are adorable and well behaved but still fun and silly. The parents super sweet and organized and just amazing (I could go on and on so I will leave it at that.) That one time trip turned into an anual thing and thank goodness for that! But the first time I had those kids sweet little Max was a little Preschooler, preparing for Kindergarten. The first night I helped get him to sleep first as he was the youngest; we brushed our teeth, read a book and then I asked him which song he wanted me to sing him. (yes his mom sang him a song every night, I told you they were sweet!) He picked a song and I started to sing, not two lines in he started waving his arms (in a surrender sort of way) and cried, "wait, wait, wait. I actually think I will be ok without a song until my mom gets back." I had no other response than; "oh, ok well goodnight then."

In case you think Max was just a picky boy or a snob, (he's neither, he's actually the sweetest boy you will ever meet.) Here is a newer yet similar story:

Grayson is a boy at my daycare. He is 2 and says about 4 words. I've known a couple of kiddies like this. (they may not say much but they sure can comunicate with sounds, facial expression or gestures.) One day whilst changing his diaper I decided to sing a song Tessa and I had just made up 1 minute earlier. I started in with a smile on my face; "Happy Happy Little Elf...." He waved his hands in the same surrender gesture I'd seen a couple years ago, only this time more wild and desperate. I asked him he wanted me to stop and when he nodded I lied to him and myself and replied, "Gray... you don't know what you are saying silly." But when I sang again and he protested, AGAIN, I admitted defeat.

There you have it, I can't sing, boys especially hate it when I try.

No comments: