Monday, March 9, 2009

Learning Every Day

Many of you know I work at Bountiful High, and hopefully everyone who does knows that I love my job. Some days it gets crazy and hectic, but there isn't anywhere I would rather be. One of the many reasons I love working with children is the little lessons they teach you. A couple examples:

1. Emma
She isn't at the Daycare, she is a girl that I would babysit. I love this girl and her family to death. One night I was babysitting and going through the bedtime routine. I had tucked little Max into his crib, checked on Sam in his parents room, and then decided to separate Casey and Emma until Emma was asleep. (she and Casey were sharing a room and past experience showed they liked to giggle, like all little girls do.) I told Casey to read in the family room until Emma was asleep then she could come in and lay down. When Emma was informed of the plan she got the saddest look on her face, and asked if it was because she was a bad girl. I felt bad seeing the guilt in her eyes and said, "Oh no sweetie, you two just like to talk and giggle so I thought I would just separate you tonight so you could get some sleep." This made her even sadder!! "I'm such a bad girl, I try and try to be a good girl, I pray to heavenly father to be good, but it's just so hard!!" It was really hard to hide the tears then!! (yes I teared up, who wouldn't) I hugged her and did my best to convince her that she wasn't a bad girl, and to this day that story makes me laugh and also be so thankful for Emma.

2. Addie
This happened today and prompted this post, Addie had asked me after lunch if we could do stamps. I promised her we could after nap. (I always tell myself not to promise to play with certain toys after nap because I forget so often!!) After nap, and after snack was over and cleaned up I went to get the stamps out, so proud that I had remembered. I then decided to let Addie pick which stamps we use since it was her idea. I went over and said, "Addie, come here please." She followed and I told her that once she had her socks and shoes on she would get to choose the stamps we got to play with!! She was so excited and I had gotten her shoes on and was getting her first shoe on when she stopped and looked at me and said, "Miss Jacque, that was very nice of you. You came over and got me, and told me I could pick the stamps. Thanks for coming to get me, that is Choosing The Right!!" I didn't really know what to say, but it was stopped me for a second. This was a wonderful reminder that children watch everything you do and everything you say. I am thankful for this little girl and her mom for teacher her this simple principle.

I want to add more because I really do learn so much from all my little kids and I will add more. These are 2 that I had to add right away though. They really make me smile and remind me that I have the best job ever!!

2 comments:

The Steffensen's said...

Oh my gosh how funny! I always knew you had it in you to chose the right! Make sure when you are a mom to keep a journal. I always have for all my children and it's so fun to go back and read all these great stories!

Melissa said...

we looove you!!!
you , cheryl and jeri are the best girls in the world!
elizabeth, sydney and melissa