Sunday, January 31, 2010

Getting Prepared

I'm not sure if it's because of the situation in Haiti (my prayers go to those in need and to those who are doing all they can to help) or just his love of prepardness, but my Dad has issued another challenge. He likes to invite the ward try out certain challenges to see if they are prepared. This summer it was going a certain amount of time only using Food Storage (including water), going a certain amount of time without going to the store. (I'm not 100 percent sure on the details since I was living at my Aunts.) Last week it was living off 72 hour kits. This proved to be a good idea for us because......
  1. I have no idea where mine is.
  2. My younger sisters had clothes in there that wouldn't fit AT ALL.
  3. The food in the kits was no longer good.
  4. Did I mention that I had no kit.

I have decided to be sure I have one, it's updated and I know where it is. Our family has decided to update them as families every coference weekend. (which works out nice because we can change for the weather) Here is a project I saw online and re-created for my kit-


Start with a HotPad (ala Dollar Tree)
Hand sew some snack bags in (I only did 4 but you can do as little or many as you would like.)
Make sure you only sew the main part, leaving the pocket open for additional storage.

Add a Button and you are DONE!! YAY!! Isn't prepardness cute!!

4 comments:

The Steffensen's said...

That's so crazy you posted this. Just a couple days ago I told Dave I am not going to the store and I am going to cook using our food storage (so two birds with one stone, Bishop Uresk would be so proud). I also have one of those hot pad kits that I made at girl's camp one year!

Munchy's Mama said...

Neato. So I'm curious, what did you include in your 72 hour kit?

Cathy said...

Great Idea! I think we need to revamp ours. We got it as a gift when Phillip was a baby ...hhmmm.. may need a few more kits :-)

Katie said...

isn't prepardness cute? yay jacque. YOU'RE cute!